Thursday, September 10, 2009

BIRTHDAYS = GIFTS!

Since it’s still my birthday week, I thought I would write a bit about gifts. I love giving and receiving hand made gift items. Don’t you?

Not long after I started scrapbooking, I saw a sweet photo cube gift idea in a 2008 issue of Scrapbooks, etc. magazine. I loved it and decided to “lift” it to suit a specific purpose. My purpose was a Mother’s Day gift for my wonderful mother in law, Arlene. Now keep in mind that during our 2007 Christmas visit, she casually mentioned that the only photos she had of us were from our wedding, GASP, 18 years before. I guess we had been too busy behind the camera to get caught in front! Well a star was born (my husband) and I think the cube turned out pretty well.


Now it's time to let you in on what I did, how I did it and what I used.   The original magazine project called for a Memory Makers brand photo cube but I couldn't find one in my local shops.  I improvised with an upside down chipboard box, top removed (now holding post it lables and notes on my desk).   Lightweight enough to ship but stable enough for tabletop display.  You could also use a 4 inch section of a 4 x 4 post with edges sanded and corners filed off, especially if your not concerned with shipping fees.  I had to ship and the only 4 x 4's at my house are supporting a deck!


The first step was painting the box with celery green acrylic from Americana paints by DecoArts.  I then cut rectangles and a square of Provo Craft patterend paper and inked the edges with gold pigment ink from Rubber Stampede.  I attached the rectangles and square to the box with Modge Podge and sealed with several additional coats.
The cute shaped frame was part of a set from Martha Stewart brand mats that I bought on clearance at Michael's.  I covered this one with patterned paper from a Paper Impressions paper pack.  All of the other mats were made from coordinating paper from the same pack.  The initials are naked chipboard from Making Memories painted with gold acrylic from Plaid.  I'm not sure who manufactured the butterlies or the ribbon but know that I picked each up at Hobby Lobby.  The silk flowers were a gift and I dyed them with a bit of tea before adding  the Spare Parts round metallic mini brads and adhering with Fiskars glue dots.
Hope you have enjoyed my little photo cube.  It could be "re-lifted" and adapted to any holdiay or other gift giving occasion.  You could also flip it upright, line the inside with archival paper and decorate the lid for a mini photo storage box.
Thank you so much for stopping by!  I will post once more (late on 9/11 or early 9/12) before the big drawing for the Birthday goodies.
Don't forget!  I have a guestbook at the bottom of the page so please shout out your location!  Thanks again.

13 comments:

  1. love the cube! really cute! mary #5509

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lesa that is terrific! I love the idea of sawing down the 4x4's from the deck to make more though! Your MIL will be thrilled with the beautiful gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sure your mother-in-law will be thrilled. This is beautiful! You are soooo talented.

    ReplyDelete
  4. She will be very happy to see your smiling faces!! The box is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful....Anything decorated with nature in mind is just gorgeous (and I love the color green to boot !) Great job !

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the cube you made. I made one several years ago. They are a unique way to display photos.
    Holly #5486

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi - this is my first visit :)
    I'm enjoying the variety of projects you are posting! Barb in Cedarburg, WI

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wowow! Love it! I was trying to think of what I could give to the grandparets for Christmas, and I think I've found my answer!

    Happy (Belated kinda) Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! I am very impressed with your photo cube. I've made a few of these and none of mine have come out nearly as slick and clean looking as yours. Beautiful job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love that butterfly on the photo cube...you know I have been trying to make a photo cube for about a year now. I bought the cube and it sits. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the photo cube! I may just have to lift this idea for Christmas gifts. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an awesome gift Lesa! You did a beautiful job on this

    ReplyDelete