Thursday, January 14, 2010

SOMETHING NEW IN THE NEW YEAR

The holidays are over and I'm slowly getting things back to normal.  I was a crafty tornado between my last post and December 23rd!  I worked on layouts and finished some Christmas presents and then made some last minute type presents, too!  As soon as I locate the photos on my hard drive, I will share.

I'm participating in a new weekly scrapping challenge this year on the Debby's Dare blog.  It's Homemade Families and it's theme is something near and dear to my heart--the moments where our friends and families gather together to break bread.  Each week Debby poses a question for us to scrap and we are to scrap two pagers with that question in mind.  I'm doing 8 x 8 pages and here is my answer to last week's question, "What was your first recipe book?"








The journaling reads: 
The Joy of Cooking was as much a part of my mother's kitchen as the sink or the stove.  She had the 1940's edition with the blue cover and it was held together with tape of various colors and types and rubber bands.
My parents gave me my own Joy about 30 years ago and was I ever thrilled!  Mine is a 1970's bridal edition, even though it was to be 10 years plus before I was a bride.  She just thought it was pretty.  My book has changed kitchens nine different times, survived a grease fire and seems to bear my husband's title change with dignity.
The title change has nothing to do with the book and everthing to do with the cook!  Gary was in big trouble then but we both got over it and think it's funny now.  I believe it appeared when I tried substituting jalapeno peppers (with the seeds) for mild green chili's!  Gary has always eaten everything I've prepared but I was afraid he would hurt himself with that one!
I've got a little secret.  I've never used a single recipe in the Joy--at least not line by line.  I use it all the time but more as a kitchen and entertainment handbook.  It's a great read!

The apron border and the embellishments are MS Office clip art.  The frills and pockets were colored with a Marvy Memory Series pen in English Red.  I added thin black ribbon "ties" (from Hobby Lobby) to the embellishments and accented the pockets and frills with gold Stickles.  The journaling block was cut with my Fiskars scallop decorative scissors and the title stickers are Colorbok.

I'm having a wonderful time working on the questions.  I've already completed week 2 and will share those pages shortly.  If you would like to play along, check out Debby's Dare--link in my blog list at the right. 

Have a wonderful, scrappy day!

1 comment: